What can I do to help my son, brother, or another man with whom I have a close relationship if I realize he is a sex addict, or moving that direction?

Outside of a marriage relationship, our options for helping a loved one caught up in sex addiction become much more limited. If the loved one is a minor son, of course you have more latitude for setting boundaries and requiring he seek help. However, finding help will likely present a huge challenge. Call 1-800-New-Life and inquire about Every Young Man’s Battle: Strategies for Victory in the Real World of Sexual Temptation (The Every Man Series) . And once again, contact every available resource and remain open to driving a distance, if necessary.

Your ability to offer help to those outside your immediate family will probably be limited to prayerfully offering one well chosen book and perhaps a printed page of available resources. Avoid shaming and preaching, which can only drive a wedge that will guarantee that you cannot help. Also, be aware that you may need to create boundaries to protect your children and teenagers if our loved one is attracted to underage girls and/or boys. And of course, if your loved one crosses the line with underage children, you must call Child Protective Services (known as CPS). It is listed in the city or county numbers near the front of your phone book. I cannot stress heavily enough the extreme importance of following through with this action. A child’s life can be destroyed in moments if he or she is used for an adult’s sexual pleasure.

Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No